9 AM August 10, 1996, a series of four deafening explosions shook
the Detroit morning and the city's most prominent east side
landmark, known locally as the "Seven Sisters", collapsed to the
Built at the turn of the century, this electric plant powered the
automotive revolution that made Detroit the Motor City. Until the
downtown skyscraper building boom of the 1920's its seven stacks
were the tallest man made structures in Detroit and Michigan.
The two newer
stacks, seen at the left in first frame and known as the "Two
Brothers", were not demolished.
RETURN to PREVIOUS PAGE